Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Long overdue Project Wrap Up for Downtown San Jose Solar Project

As planned our project ended on March 23rd. The final tally of participating homes is--drum roll, please--

36 systems for 136.5 kW!!!

The project was a huge success for all concerned. And I am thrilled because 3 homes on my block alone are now solar, having chosen to work with both REC and Sun Run. I get a warm fuzzy feeling when I drive past a home with our lawn signs proudly displayed. And I feel gratified to know that the Downtown San Jose Project, which was a grassroots volunteer effort with time donated from multiple people in out neighborhood, was so effective--and so appreciated.

While I am on the subject of the people who volunteered their time for this project, now is as good a time to name them and thank them, formally, once again:

Lynette Bunyard
Kit Flores
Steve Grant
Barbara Kempinsky
Joe Pambianco
Kirkwood Rough

And I would be totally remiss to leave out Sam Liccardo, our District 3 Councilperson. Sam personally participated in the project by becoming one of the 34 homes to adopt Solar. But as important, he assigned us one of his staff members to work with us on the project. Ragan Henniger was at every meeting, giving us invaluable input, and facilitating logistics for us every step of the way. Her help was invaluable.

When our project ended, I found myself suffering from what I started calling ‘post-solar depression’. Working with a team of dedicated people--both neighbors and the people from REC and Sun Run--was so important and fulfilling to me that I decided that I did not want the experience to end. The people that I met through this project were truly wonderful, and real ongoing friendships have been made with people I am honored to be associated with.

Because of these people, and also the relevance of this project in my life, I made a decision to become involved with the renewable energy movement on a professional as well as a volunteer basis. Therefore, I am pleased and excited to announce that for the past two weeks I have been the Community Program Coordinator for REC Solar. Onwards and upwards, and let the next project begin!

Yours Truly,

Marni Kamzan
REC Solar
Community Program Coordinator

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
It will be most effective when you expose them to sunlight maximum of time.Thanks for sharing the valuable information.

New York Solar Installers